Baby-sitter convicted of sex assault
Children were victimized in Douglas, Arapahoe counties
A 24-year-old baby-sitter has been convicted by a Douglas County jury for the sexual assault of a pre-teen Highlands Ranch boy in his care in the summer of 2010.
Justin Jefferson, of Parker, who previously pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting another pre-teen boy he baby-sat in Aurora in 2011, is scheduled to be sentenced by 18th Judicial District Court Judge Richard Caschette on Aug. 28.
Jefferson, who was convicted in Douglas County June 14, faces a prison term ranging from 10 years to life for one count of sexual assault on a child while in a position of trust. The charge is listed as a “pattern of abuse.”
“The two victims in these cases were remarkably brave to come forward with their families and describe their assaults,” said Deputy District Attorney Chris Gallo, who prosecuted the Highlands Ranch case for the 18th. “Thanks to them, no more children will be victimized. Justin Jefferson will never be alone with a helpless boy again.”
Both families that were victimized by Jefferson hired him through the website www.Care.com. The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and the District Attorney’s Office ask that anyone who hired Jefferson as a baby-sitter between the years of 2009 and 2011 contact law enforcement if they suspect that he engaged in any sexual contact with their children or other inappropriate behavior.
“This case is a chilling reminder that our children are at risk if left with strangers,” said District Attorney George Brauchler. “As a parent of young children, I am determined to make sure that these predatory practices are discovered and punished. Nobody gets to victimize our children with impunity.”
According to Gallo, it took the Highlands Ranch victim two years to come forward, and the boy did so after Jefferson pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of sex assault on a child by a person in a position of trust in Arapahoe County for the 2011 incident.
Jefferson, who avoided potential prison time in the Arapahoe County case after prosecutors agreed to drop the “pattern of abuse” part of the initial charge, was in the midst of a 10-years-to-life term of sexual offender intensive supervision probation while undergoing his recent trial in Castle Rock.
He is now in custody in Douglas County on a no-bond hold pending his sentencing.