Englewood City Council held a ceremony during the Dec. 3 meeting to honor the five school classes selected as winners in the annual Fire Prevention and Safety Week Poster Contest.
Friends and family filled most of the available seats in the council chambers for the awards. After the awards, the council took a short recess for the reception held in the community room, where there were refreshments and where all the winning posters were displayed on the walls.
For the ceremony, Mike Pattarozzi, fire chief, talked about the contest. He said the fire department staff took an active part in the project.
There also was active student involvement and about 30 entries were submitted.
The judges had the difficult task of selecting a winner for each grade, kindergarten through fifth grade.
Pattarozzi announced each winning class. Mayor Randy Penn presented the teacher and student a certificate.
This year's winners were:
• Kindergarten: Art teacher Shonda Kaspar's class at St. Louis Catholic School.
• First grade: Kaspar's class at St. Louis Catholic School.
• Second grade: Janet Niswonger's class at All Souls Catholic School.
• Third grade: Regina Holms' class at All Souls Catholic School.
• Fourth grade: Cari Prado's class at All Souls Catholic School.
• Fifth grade: Amy DeGrood's and Angela DeMunck's classes at Bishop Elementary School.