Judge grants family’s wish for more calls


An Englewood couple were denied permission to visit their son Codell Loats, who is in Arapahoe County jail charged with attacking them, but 18th Judicial District Judge Elizabeth Weishaupl did allow the mother and the father each one phone call a week and allowed family members to write to him.

The judge’s ruling came during Loats’ May 13 arraignment. The 29-year-old is facing charges included attempted first-degree murder in the Sept. 14 beating of his parents in their home in the 4700 block of South Acoma Street.

Also, Loats’ public defender, Julia Marchelya, asked the arraignment be continued and the judge granted the request. The judge said she would set the final arraignment date for June 24.

Then the matter of family contact with Loats was discussed.

Mark Loats, Codell’s father, asked to speak to the judge. He said he and his wife really wanted to visit their son but a protection order would not allow it. However, he said he and his wife were permitted one phone call a week to their son.

“The problem is my wife is undergoing treatment in Colorado Springs and I am here in the Denver area,” he said. “That means each of us gets to talk to our son once every two weeks.”

The judge said, under the circumstances, she would modify the contact order to allow each parent one phone call a week.

After a discussion with the prosecutor and defense attorney, the judge also said letters from the parents would be permitted but Loats would not be allowed to write back to them.

“I know you love your son and want to support him but you must remember that you cannot discuss the case with your son during the phone calls or in the letters,” the judge said. “I urge you to be very cautious with your phone calls and letters so no one gets into trouble.”

Loats was arrested Sept 16, 2012, in Morrison and has been held in Arapahoe County jail on $50,000 bond since.

Loats was brought into the courtroom with a dozen other Arapahoe County prisoners. The handcuffs and the shackles on his ankles were joined by a chain to another chain around his waist. He was clean-shaven and after talking to his lawyers, he frequently traded glances with the members of his family sitting in the audience.

His first arraignment date was Jan. 7. Another continuance was granted in March. The public defender asked for and received another continuance on May 13, but she did not specify the reason for request. The judge set the next court appearance for June 24.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment